POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Suggestions for spline function implementation : Re: Suggestions for spline function implementation Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for spline function implementation
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 23 Jul 2000 23:37:04
Message: <397BB8B8.C551A8D3@skynet.be>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <397AE320.4507A0A9@skynet.be>, Fabien Mosen
> <fab### [at] skynetbe> wrote:
>
> > Well, I tried this one altogether, but it doesn't suit my current
> > needs : I need to evenly gather intervals along the spline, without
> > having to take care of the spline's "gradation" (the argument before
> > the vector), which is difficult with this "alternate" implementation.
>
> It should be quite easy to make a macro to find a point a fixed distance
> on a spline from a given one...and this syntax looks like it would be
> more easily extended to allow these features to be added.

I gave it another try, but but but :
 - it's impossible to pass a spline identifier as a #macro parameter
 - it's impossible to #declare a point :
         #declare Point = SplineIdent (Value);
 I had to go trough sidepaths to achieve what I needed to do (e.g.
 creating a temporary spline from a declared array within the macro)

 - and I still miss the "linear natural cubic" quality of the other
   splines.  (and if I write a #macro to evenly distribute the "samples"
   along the spline, the parsing times will go trough the roof, as it
   does, alas, when using Kari's #macro).

  (please consider this as a report, not a complain/request)

Fabien.